Are there limitations on user roles?
Short answer, no. You can add users at any privilege level, even additional administrators.
Having said that, to ensure that the platform and all its associated plugins run smoothly, administrators have some limitations compared to the default WordPress administrator. Namely:
- Administrators cannot install new plugins. They can enable plugins from a list of approved plugins. They can also request a plugin is installed and provided it’s ‘safe’ it will be installed and enabled on your site so that it can be used.
- Administrators cannot install new themes. They can select which theme to use and activate from a list of installed themes.
- Administrators cannot edit other users. They can only remove them or view their profile information.
- Administrators cannot access the export menu item under tools.
- Administrators cannot edit functions.php